Good morning! I hope you all are doing fantastic and life is keeping you as busy as it is me. Life is a whirlwind right now with travels, holidays and wedding plans. It is amazing too. I never thought a few years ago this is where life would take me but it has. Happiness has a way of sneaking in when you are least expecting it. So hang in there my friends. Every problem has a solution we just have to find it. Today I wanted to share some of our favorite holiday spots in or driving distance to Jacksonville. We are so lucky to have some amazing places to visit and see Christmas lights and get into the holiday mood.
When I was little there was this one lady who decorated her house to the max for Christmas. Everyone in our little town had to go see those lights. She passed away and they no longer do that but they really were fantastic and a memory I've never forgotten. We went every year to see those lights. I want my children to have so many of my same traditions I had as a child I was really lucky to have a great family who made the holidays such a special time. So, we go light searching every year. Besides It's so FUN and you know this girl likes to find new places .
Top 10 Christmas Lights and Holiday Events
in North East Florida
|10 Holiday Lights and Family Events in Florida|
- Deck The Chairs is a Jacksonville Beach Tradition. This year Deck the Chairs will open November 27th 2015 and ends January 2, 2016. Deck The Chairs uses the Red Life Guard Beach Chairs and decks them out with a Christmas themed display. This year there will be 40 chairs.
- The Christmas Express at Kirby Family Farms : have a train lover then this is a must do on your list friends. My little engineer loves this Florida Christmas train ride through the lights at Kirby Family Farms. There is also lots of other fun activities for families as it is a bit of a drive. Be sure and ride that monster school bus. You might want to bring a little blanket too because sometimes the evenings can be chilly. The ride begins November 27th and you'll need a ticket. You can purchase tickets online and view the calendar for running nights.
- The Lights on Crystal Springs Road are AMAZING I kid you not AMAZING. I'd give these lights a 10 out of 10 any day. Go see them you will be so glad that you did. Here is a post I shared last year about the Crystal Springs Road Christmas Lights.
- St. Augustine's Night of Lights Celebration is beautiful white lights all over the city. St. Augustine has such charm you don't want to miss it during the holidays anyway. But these lights are great fun . Hop aboard one of the trolleys, grab your glasses that are going to make the lights put on quite a show and enjoy. This holiday season is a little bit more special this year because Ripley's Believe it or Not in St. Augustine is celebrating their 65th Birthday as well. The lights turn on November 21 , 2015 and go off January 31, 2016.
- The festival of Lights at Stephen Foster Culture Center State Park - this will be the fourth year I take the kids to this event. The lights are lovely. My favorite part is the large tower that chimes. It is beautiful. There will be a place to roast marshmallows and make smores, get hot chocolate and even see Santa. The lights open up Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5PM and are over Thursday , December 31st at 9PM.
- If you made the drive to see the lights at Stephen Foster then go on up the road and save yourself a second trip by taking in the lights at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. These lights are a drive thru exhibit and are super cool. The Suwanee Lights will be open this year December 5th thru the 24th. You could also plan ahead and camp here if you'd like.
- Check out some of the amazingly awesome gingerbread competitions in our area. If you want to drive head to Savannah or Orlando. You won't be sorry. If you don't want to go that far don't fret because the Gingerbread House Extravaganza by Jacksonville's very own Historical Society is GREAT!
- Night of Luminaries at the St. Augustine Lighthouse - the St. Augustine lighthouse puts on all kinds of events through out the year. My favorite is the night of luminaries. If you love taking photographs this is a great event to practice your night time photo skills. The lighthouse is gorgeous lit up and then with the added lights of the luminaries it is just really lovely to see. The Santa and Mrs.Claus are great. This is a FREE Family Event and it takes place Wednesday December 2nd from 6-9 PM.
- The Lights at Atlantic Beach - Last year this house had one great light show. Be sure and tune in your car radio to 94.5 FM and take it all in. December 1 to January 1. Atlantic Beach Christmas is a great stop.
- Last but not least if you are in Central Florida head over to 23373 NE 112th Ct. , Orange Springs, Florida 32182 to catch the display put on by the Cade Family. This is the fifteenth year the Cade's have shared a holiday display and each year it grows larger. Thank you Cade Family. The event is Free Dec. 1-31. Just park at the gate and walk up to Enjoy the Cade Family light show.