Monday, April 13, 2015

Chicken and Dumpling Bake Recipe


Talk about your easy making comfort food.  Chicken and dumplings screams comfort to me.  My Mama makes the best chicken and dumplings.  They don't take to long to make but sometimes it is nice to have several different recipes for one type of dish.  Don't you think?  I have a great recipe for crock pot chicken and dumplings that the family just loves.  Vegetables are not a huge hit with my children.  Sneaking them in is worth a try although more often than not they figure it out. Picky bunch I have.  Today I'm going to share a recipe I call Chicken and Dumpling Bake.

 photo chickenampdumplingbake.jpg
Chicken and Dumpling Bake Recipe 

How to Make Chicken and Dumpling Bake 

What you need: 



  • shredded boiled chicken 
  • 1- 14 oz can French style green beans
  • 1 cup self rising flour 
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 yellow onion chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1-tablespoon of butter

What you do: 

I keep shredded chicken frozen in the freezer. I cook it ahead of time in my slow cooker and then shred it with my mixer and put it in freezer bags to pull out as needed.  This is a time saving tip for you if you don't already do that.  So I just grab some out . If you don't do this you can either boil and shred some chicken now or if you do not have time use a rotisserie chicken from the deli.  Either will work fine . 

Layer that in the bottom of your 13X9 casserole dish.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

In a small skillet add a tablespoon of butter and melt over medium heat.  Add in your chopped onion and cook for a few minutes.  Drain your can of green beans and add to the mix stirring every few minutes.   This only takes 5 to 7 minutes. 

Layer this mixture over the top of your chicken. 

In a mixing bowl combine your self rising flour and cup of milk.  Mix it to create a batter and pour over the top of your ingredients in the casserole dish. 

In the same mixing bowl (now empty) mix your chicken broth, and can of cream of chicken soup. You can also use cream of mushroom here if you'd like.  Mix together and pour over the top of your casserole.  

It will appear very soupy.  That's okay because its going to thicken up in the oven. 

 Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. 

post signature