5 Romantic Dates in America's Oldest CityValentine's Day is coming up February is less than a month away. We've been talking about great places to dine and enjoy it with someone special, a date , a friend, a lover whatever you have. Just because you are single does not mean that you can't celebrate Valentine's Day. Today we're talking about romantic date spots in the Oldest City (St.Augustine Florida). These spots are also perfect for some non Valentine's Day romance. In my mind a just because date is even more special than one on a holiday. So why not plan 5 surprise dates! You may have picked up on the fact that St.Augustine is one of my favorite places to hang out. I head that way as often as possible. Today I'm happy to share 5 of my favorite romantic spots in the Oldest City !
1. Smooch Under the Love Trees - Have you ever heard of the Love Trees? I once stopped under a Love Tree when on a carriage ride and smooched the one I loved. That relationship ended up being a total failure but it was a romantic notion. One I remember even if not the lover. One of my favorite blogs shares a scavenger hunt through the 7 Love Trees of St.Augustine.
2. An Evening on the Beach - It doesn't get much more romantic than the sounds of the waves and a beach blanket on the beach. Add the sunset , a bottle of wine and picnic and you have an inexpensive and memorable night ahead. You might check out Anastasia State Park one of our favorites or Vilano Beach another of my personal favorites .
3. Picnic on the grass of the Fort - Everyone should do this just once. We've always done it on field trips . But let me tell you there is something quite special about a picnic with the one you love watching the boats go by, breathing in the old city air , rolling down the grassy hill. St.Augustine is a magical place and if you let yourself you can totally be swept away. Grab a bottle of your favorite wine to stow away in your basket from San Sebastian Winery.
4. Smooch at the top of the Lighthouse- Taking a trip to the top of the lighthouse for a sweet kiss is pretty special. The view is breath taking in itself. But a kiss at the top of the world can make it that much sweeter. If you plan ahead you can do the sunset/moonrise tour. This tour is once a month and can be booked online (February is already booked up friend but if you want you can call and be added to the wait list. ) This tour comes with a champagne toast provided by San Sebastian Winery and light hours d'oeuvres provided by the REEF. You could also do a ghost tour.
5. Take a Stroll and Explore the Arts of the City- Hand in hand exploring this city is definitely special! One of my favorite stops is the cafe, and shops at the once swimming pool of Henry Flagler's Cafe Alcazar (now the Lightener Museum). You can grab a bite of lunch at the Cafe Alcatraz. I love the piano music and atmosphere. Continue your stroll and visit the Butterfield Garage Art Gallery on King Street . This Art Gallery is open 11-5 and a has a great display of contemporary arts. Drop in the Starving Artist a consignment shop for local artist. End your evening with a romantic dinner at one of the fabulous restaurants in the city.
You might also enjoy our post 10 Valentine Picks to dine near Jacksonville.