One thing that is not fun about summertime are the bugs. Your family is enjoying the great outdoors and getting eaten alive by mosquito. That is just not cool. How can you protect them from these pesky bugs? Not only are they pesky but they bite and in some cases they can make you sick. There are many illnesses that are dangerous and spread by mosquito bites. Here are a few tips to keep your family safe and the bug bites away.
- Use garlic to keep them away. Mix a couple of teaspoons of garlic powder or minced garlic with water in a spray bottle. Mist around your camping area and on your skin.
- Citronella candles, sprays, and plants are all great remedies.
- Try your essential oils. It is said that tea tree oil, lavender oil, citronella oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, and cinnamon oil will all deter these bugs.
- Add sage to your camp fire to keep mosquito's and insects away.
- Keep your grass cut short and prevent standing water.
- Wear light colors when outdoors. Try mosquito curtains or nets around areas you are sleeping when camping.
- Place a fabric softener dryer sheet in your pocket. Try the lavender scented ones.
- Plants such as Lemon Grass, Red Lantana , Marigolds, and Lavender around your yard and patio.
- Use your traditional bug repellents like OFF etc.
- Try a DIY mosquito trap (see video)
If you look back at the history of the mosquito you will find that in the past they have been deadly. Even though times have changed prevention is still an important measure in keeping your family safe and bug bite free.