YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 TB Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sliced bread (2 slices per sandwich you are making)
- ham lunch meat
- turkey lunch meat
- cheese *I use mozzarella the original sandwich has Swiss cheese
- powdered sugar
- egg 1-2 depending on how many sandwiches you make
- milk just a dash
- vanilla extract just a dash
- toothpicks optional
- spicy mustard
If you are deep frying your sandwich you will also need vegetable oil for frying.
First, I will share our favorite . Our favorite is by far the deep fried sandwich. It is much more like the original . To make a deep fried Monte Cristo this is what you need to do.
- take 2 slices of bread
- put spicy mustard on one side of the bread (this is optional )
- then put a slice of cheese in between a layer of turkey and ham
- beat one egg with a dash of milk and vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl mix together your flour, baking powder and salt (this is your batter)
- If you would like you can cut your sandwich into triangles and pin it together with toothpicks before frying to keep things together. I didn't have toothpicks so I skip this.
- Now take your sandwich and dip it into your egg mixture then your flour mixture fully covering both sides of your sandwich
- Place your sandwich into your frying pan of hot oil and fry it
- Top with a table spoon of confectioners sugar
- Serve with raspberry jam
To make a Monte Cristo without deep frying it you omit the flour mixture and frying in oil. You simply dip your sandwich into the egg mixture and then pan fry it on a hot griddle or pan just like you would french toast.