Thursday, August 25, 2011

Toddler Talk Thursday "vocabulary"



This Weeks Theme
"Building your Toddler's  Vocabulary"

My toddler is not a chatter box and it drives me insane.  I worry is their something wrong?  Am I dong something wrong?  His older brother and sister were big talkers by the time they were his age.  So, of course I worry.  His Dr. reassures me that he is fine and their is a huge range for speech and language.  He was also a preemie born at 34 weeks so again I worry. Don't get me wrong he knows a lot of words and even phrases/sentences but hes not always likely to use them.  And he is not one to just sit and talk with you.  Not yet anyway.  I have seen over this past month a huge jump in his social skills and his speech development , so I'm hoping.  With the bigger kids going back to school we are really going to be working on learning new words and things.

So, what do you do to help your child with vocabulary. 

  • Books books and more books
  • Having conversations with your child and asking them many questions. 
  • Point at everything and give it a name
  • Talk through your routine giving a step by step account of what your doing
  • Singing silly songs
  • Be repetitive
  • Be creative and use hands on learning we do lots of crafts, cooking and pretending.
  • Play can you find it "can you find the red car?" No, that's the yellow car look for the red one. 
I can't wait to read your tips this week.  This is a subject close to my heart right now! 
Next weeks topic will be Food Allergies
My suggested future topic :  Toddler Toys, what are your toddlers favorite items in the toy box?

Link Up Suggestions:
1. We ask that you follow all three hosts.Family and Life in Las Vegas, Crazy about my Baybah, and My Life as a Sippy Cup Mom That way you can keep up to date on future Toddler Talks.
2. Please grab the Toddler Talk Button and display it in your post or on your blog.
3. Stop in to other blogs that are linking up.Leave a meaningful comment if you visit, and follow if you would like.
4. If you want to post the link up on your blog – please do! Maybe we can draw in more people to participate and share tips!!
get the InLinkz code
** If you want to follow this on twitter – or plan on tweeting your post – please use hashtag: #letstalktoddler **
Remember this is not a blog hop.  Only link up if you want to share something on this subject this week.