Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Eavesdropping have you ever found yourself with your ear glued to the conversation next door?

Today, I had to be at the hospital at 5am with my husband.  We had to leave at 3:30 just to get there on time.  Now, I sit with my 2 year old watching Nemo thinking how very tired I am.

My husband is fine.  He had back surgery but all went well.  He was able to come home late this afternoon.  Thank goodness.  He was very easy going and pretty relaxed the entire time.  I on the other hand was sick over it.  I am not an optimist my friends.  I picture the worse and the longer I waited in the waiting room the more things going wrong went through my mind.  Anyway, I could tell you all of the crazy things I worried over the 3 hour wait for the surgery to end, but they were that crazy.  Now let us pray that the surgery was successful and not a waste.  Before he went in we again went over what he would want in case of a disaster.  Living wills , organ donation etc.  I know my husband probably thought gee thanks honey here I am fixing to go to surgery and your confirming I still want to be an organ donor. ha.  What about you guys have you discussed this type of thing with your family.  Do they know what YOU want if something was to happen to you?  My husband knows exactly what he wants.  I am on the other hand have a far harder time making such decisions. I think it takes a remarkable person to give that gift and be an organ donor. 

As I sat in the pre-op room with him, the waiting room, the recovery room all of these different places in the hospital my ears were overwhelmed with all of the different conversations.  Seriously, it is amazing what people say with only a curtain pulled between them and the next person.  Or what they say to complete strangers in the hospital.  Does being sick or having surgery give you the right to be completely wonky?   Have you ever been in a situation where you can't help but over hear a persons life story?  I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit today . I sat listening and people watching and sometimes was quite entertained.  My husband says I am just nosey.  A little true I guess.  I am sure I should not be ease dropping in the hospital waiting room,  but what else is their to do?  Have you found yourself on the other side of that curtain unable to resist listening in.: People are just funny.  I am amazed at how similar at yet how different each and every person is .

I totally found myself tuned into everyone elses conversations around me today.  Maybe , God put them there to distract me I really don't know what got into me.  Maybe they were just so loud I couldn't help but over hear them?  As I sit here writing this post and thinking about our day it occurs to me , How many people were on the other side of the curtain listening to me today?  How many thought I was a bit strange or wondered what was I thinking?