Wednesday, July 27, 2011

10 tips and tricks to get your kids to eat more vegetables

How do I get my child to eat more vegetables?  How do I get my child to eat better?  These are questions I have asked for almost fifteen years now.  As a mom I want to know that my children are getting all of the vitamins and nutrients needed to fuel a healthy body. 

I will be the first to say we do not eat the most healthy at the Whitehead's Zoo.  It is not for lack of trying on my part.  My husband has always been VERY picky .  He is not a big vegetable eater at all.  My oldest two children have some what followed in his foot steps. I think my middle son has survived on peanut butter alone.  So, far I am very happy to say our toddler eats more like his mom and will try almost anything.  Even he prefers meat to his veggies. 

Here are a few of the tips and tricks I have tried over the years.  Who knows maybe one that didn't work for me will work for you?

  1. Adding mashed pureed veggies such as sweet potatoes to Popsicles
  2. Adding them into breakfast meals, onto breakfast pizzas, breakfast burritos, pureed in muffins (this seems to be the easiest way to sneak them)
  3. Giving them different dips to dip them in
  4. Adding them into rice,  mashed potatoes, or macaroni and cheese
  5. Adding cheese sauce to them (anything is better with cheese right)
  6. V8 , v8 fruit fusion
  7. Keeping Tupperware with individual salads fixed in the fridge (this works well for the teens)
  8. Keeping a tray with both fruit and veggies sliced in the fridge when they go for the fruit they will sometimes add a vegetable or two
  9. Chopping them up really really fine and adding them to our pizza under the cheese so they don't see them!
  10. Letting them pick out a meal from the shopping to the preparation, but they must try what they pick

Do you have any great tips for sneaking in vegetables?  If so, I would love to hear all about them.  I do believe I will be spending another fifteen years or more maybe a life time sneaking them in to keep a healthy family. 

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Peas and Thank You blogging program for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” (make sure you link to