Sunday, May 1, 2011

Living with Migraines

Migraines can be life changing for some people.  They can last for days, and make you so ill .  All you probably want to do is find a dark spot and lie down.  The headache can honestly be disabling.  The condition can effect your family, work and social life. 

I have severe migraines.  Usually, from the onset to ending they last about 3 days.  I can count on it no matter what I choose to take. I usually end up vomiting, blurred vision in one eye, and honestly I feel like my head could pop off it hurts so bad.  They are miserable.  Light bothers me, sound bothers me, and being a mommy that doesn't work so well. 

I worked with a lady for many years.  Migraines had almost ruined her life.  They were so severe for her she would miss 3-4 days of work a week.  She had tried every medication known and had even began driving many miles to have Botox treatments.  .  "The FDA says Botox injections have been shown to be effective in the prevention of migraines, which are debilitating headaches that cause intense pulsing or throbbing pain and affect about 12% of Americans."(WEbMD)  I pray for her daily.  I can't imagine living with that kind of pain on the daily basis

Migraine afflicts 28 million Americans, with females suffering more frequently (17%) than males (6%). 

Typical Symptoms of migraines include:

Nausea, vomiting,  facial pallor, cold hands or feet, diarrhea, and sensitivity to light and sound commonly accompany migraine headaches. As a result of this sensitivity to light and sound, migraine sufferers usually prefer to lie in a quiet, dark room during an attack. (I know I do.  Sometimes , I even wear my sunglasses inside seriously.)  A typical attack lasts between 4 and 72 hours.  Migraine's are typically unilateral and may switch sides with each episode.

I will never forget my husband getting a migraine for the first time. I wanted to laugh, and punch him at the same time, and I also felt sorry that he had to hurt that way.  I think he had always thought I was being a Drama Queen. Then after he had experienced his own he changed his mind a bit.  Of course, he thought there was no way possibly that "this " is what I had and that his had to be worse.  Men! 

What about you guys do you deal with migraines?  What do you take or do to help with yours?  Have you tried any out there treatments or therapies.  Acupuncture?  Do share!