Saturday, April 16, 2011

How to be God's Little Princess by Sheila Walsh : Book Review

How to Be God's Little Princess Royal Tips on Manners and Etiquette for Girls

By Sheila Walsh
Published by Thomas Nelson

Average Blogger Rating: 4.57 Stars

Book Description

A fun guide book for God’s little princesses.
What does it take to be a princess? Sheila Walsh has some important answers to share for every little girl. This trendy design features black & white line art and a two-color pink and black interior. The art will tie to each how-to topic in the book—how to make the best pink cookies, how to wear a tiara, how to earn money at home, how to care for a royal dog, how to be respectful, how to use good manners, how to help Mom, how to follow Jesus, how to act like a princess when things go terribly wrong, and many more.

I recently received a copy of How to be God's Little Princess by Sheila Walsh to review.  I was surprised ! I think I expected it to be more of toddler version of the book perhaps by the name but it is geared towards I would say ages 6-9 year old girls.  The reading level is a bit higher I would recommend this book be a mother daughter read.  The book is a princess how to on etiquette, manners and true beauty. 

The book is written pretty cute and covers anything from dressing like a princess to passing gas like a princess.  I think kids will get a kick out of some of the silly how to segments and learn a lot from the tidbits they pick up in the reading too.

There are little quizzes through out the book to see what kind of princess you are. I think that's a plus I remember even as a teenager always going to the quizzes in teen magazine and playing along with that type of game.  I plan to give this book as a gift at a Birthday party next week for a 2nd grade little lady.  I hope that she will enjoy it with her Mom. 

I love that Sheila Walsh tells the little princess to use their royal advisers when help is needed.  Who are their royal advisers?  Mom, Dad, Aunts,  Grandmother or all of them are the royal advisers given to help the little princess along her way.  Well that is right on advice in my book. 

There is real princess type how to parts as well.  How to wear a tiara, how to pour tea, how to dress , how to wash your hair.  A winner in most little girls book I do think so.  I think if Mom sits down with them and reads it with them  most will enjoy the book very much There is  a real manners like how to part: how to  talk on a phone, how to act in an elevator, at the mall, in  a restaurant, how to be a good friend.  These are all important things to teach.  I think that a lot of manners are lost in today's bustling world.  I know that I was always taught the importance of a simple thank you card.  I have tried to pass that on to my children to take the time and write a brief note of thanks .  Another lesson I took to heart as a middle school aged child, I had a teacher that would call your home to see if you answered the phone correctly.  I was a nervous wreck waiting for her to get to call my house, but it was a lesson I honestly never forgot.  Some things, are not Earth shattering if you do not know them , but it is nice to be able to carry yourself in any situation and be a  poised and confident young lady.  I think this is a great little tool to give little girls a boost of confidence as they are learning how to navigate through life. 

"Don't be confused: being poised and confident doesn't mean your boastful.  It means you are comfortable being a child of the KING!  Remember when you walk in His ways, you possess all the poise and confidence you need to show the world how Royal grand it is to be in God's Family!" 

What I do Like about the book:
*I like that it teaches etiquette and manners in a fun way
*I like the princess theme
*I like the craft how tos
*I like the fun little quizzes

What I don't like about the book:
*I don't like that the  reading level is a good bit above the content level

.  A great little teaching tool for Mamas.  Sheila Walsh turned a how to book into a lot of fun with the little quizzes and silliness in between.  Not to mention the craft ideas through out.  I would recommend this one for your little princess or as a gift for one.  My little princess is a bit to old for it, but like I said above I think its going to be a great Birthday gift for a little girl in my life.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://booksneeze®.com/> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”