Friday, April 29, 2011

Guest Post

I am super excited to share with you a new guest this week.  Meet Jeff  McClure from A touch of Arkansas.   I think you mommies will really enjoy the information from his post.  Be sure to stop by and show him some love  and check out the steps to make this terrific fire truck bed.  Jeff built this himself can you believe that.  C and I have added this to our daddy & papa project   list.  Although, C is way to small for such a big boy bet as of yet we are getting prepared.  I LOVE it!

Here Is What Jeff has to say:
First off, let me thank Amber for the opportunity to do my first guest post! 
Amber found my Blog, http://www.atouchofarkansas.com/, after I posted the Fire Truck Bed I just completed for my son a few weeks ago.
A little back story on how I progressed to build this bed.  Almost a year ago a friend of ours, Cara Wilkerson at http://www.livethehomelife.com/ (check her out, she does GREAT stuff on there) posted about Ana White and her Knock Off Wood site, http://www.ana-white.com/.  I was instantly HOOKED!  If you are unfamiliar with Ana White, she is a wife & mother who lives in Alaska and shows you how to build furniture and crafts step-by-step.  How she finds the time to do all of this is beyond me, but she does.  Everything you see on my Blog would not have happened without finding her site.
For my first project I decided to try and build something easy to see if I could do it and started with a simple outdoor bench.  Once I completed it and it was successful, I was hooked.  Since that first project, I have built a number of furniture pieces for family and several picnic tables.  Just like anything else, the more you do it, the easier and more confident you get in your abilities. 
That led to the Fire Truck Bed.  Ana has a plan on her site for a Play House Loft bed.  The first time I saw it, I thought I could modify it to make into something that resembled a fire truck.  After some Google image searching, I found a truck that looked like it would work.  From there I sketched out some ideas and using Ana’s plans for the most part, started on the bed.
It took a couple months to build since I was working on it after work and on the weekends, when the weather cooperated.  Someone made the comment to me that it would have taken them forever, I said if you had a 4 year old asking you if it was done every day, it wouldn’t!  He was so excited for me to get it done since we had been talking about it for a few months before I even started.
Now I am onto some smaller stuff to give myself a break.  I am very pleased with how it turned out and very appreciative of the comments I have received.  If you have a chance, go on over and check out http://www.atouchofarkansas.com/ and see all the pictures.  I broke down the building process into different posts for those that are interested can see start to finish. 
Amber, thanks again for the guest post and keep up the good work on your site!
Jeff McClure